Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Masks we wear

I came across this poem by Betty B. Youngs...and it really made me think...it made me think about the masks we wear...masks to protect ourselves from hurt in many cases. Please read it and tell me that I am not alone...I am not the only one that use a paintbrush to be acceptable....

The Paintbrush

I keep my paintbrush with me,
wherever I may go
in case I need to cover up
so the real me doesn't show.
I'm so afraid to show you me;
afraid of what you'll do;
you just might laugh , or say mean things,
I'm afraid I might lose you....
I'd like to remove my paintcoats,
to show you the real, true me,
but I want you to try and understand
I need you to like what you see.
So if you'll be patient and close your eyes
I'll strip off my coats real slow,
please understand how much it hurts
to let the real me show.
Now my paintcoats are all stripped off.
I feel naked, bare and cold.
If you still love me with all you see
you'r my friend as pure as gold.
I need to save my paintbrush though,
and hold it in my hand;
I need to keep it handy......
someone might not understand.
So please protect me, my dear friend;
and thanks for loving me true;
but please let me keep my paintbrush,
until I love me too.

Often I wonder why we need these masks to hide behind to protect ourselves...do we really need protection? ....what do we need protection from?

...do I wear a mask? Oh, yes my friend I do! You see I have found that not all people can be trusted with my emotions...some people see a soft heart and emotions as a weakness and they go all out to hurt you. We work with broken and rejected people on a daily basis in our ministry...when it is necessary.... I give them a peek into my life. The feeling of compassion that I feel toward them are true...but they need strong people around them to become strong themselves...So what am I saying, am I weak. No, I think that I have come through a difficult childhood to wholeness...so that I can help others that have been hurt too. But I still need my "paintbrush"! Before you judge me...have a good look at yourself...I am yet to find a person that do not at times hide behind a coat of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog...your comments are appreciated ♥